2,009 LOCAL EMPLOYEES
OUTPUT OF $721.02 MILLION PER YEAR
#1 LARGEST EMPLOYER
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing is the region’s primary industry across employment, exports, industry growth and economic value. It employs 17.4% of the workforce and accounts for 22.5% of the region’s economic turnover. The sector has many industry-leading operators located in the region and accounts for almost half of the value of the region’s exports. The Southern Downs agricultural land is used largely for sheep and cattle grazing, orcharding, and vegetable and grain growing. Forestry and viticulture are also important industries.
Join other leading agriculture enterprises on the Southern Downs including:
- Taylors Family Produce
- Grainx Australia
- Sweet’s Strawberry Runners
- Wickham Farms
- Maydan Feedlot
- Carr Farming
- Darwalla Group
- Rugby Farm
- Department of Agriculture and Fisheries – Hermitage Research Facility and Applethorpe Research Facility
Key benefits of investing in agriculture on the Southern Downs:
- Agriculture is the region’s largest employer, the most productive industry and accounts for almost half of the value of the region’s exports.
- The region has a strong agriculture history and culture with many industry-leading operators located in the region.
- There is an experienced workforce in the region, with an additional 8,000 working backpackers calling the region home each year.
- The region has favourable climatic conditions that are ideal for food production with rich granitic soils, a clean water supply and four distinct seasons offering year-round diversity in production.
- The Southern Downs Regional Council has a Planning Scheme that supports high intensity livestock including chickens, beef and pigs.
- The region enjoys excellent access to national and international air and sea ports, and is well connected to national road and rail networks.
- The region is home to some of the nation’s leading freight and distribution suppliers.