If you are interested in visiting Southern Downs as part of our media familiarisation program please fill in the form below.
1 About the program
The Tourism Recovery Officer role is jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland Governments as a component of the 2019 Queensland Bushfires Community Recovery Package under Category C of the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements.
As many of the region’s local tourism operators navigate recovery from natural disasters and COVID-19 travel restrictions, the new role will support businesses and industry through key projects and events with a focus on driving tourism business development, growth and resilience.
A key requirement in the recovery of tourism operators and businesses is protecting brand reputation and building awareness of the Southern Downs & Granite Belt as a favourable tourism destination and by hosting media famils we can achieve media representatives achieve their own specific needs and story objectives.
- Generate positive travel media stories with high-value exposure.
- Increase the volume and quality of Southern Downs & Granite Belt tourism photo and video resources
- Engage with industry bodies to leverage opportunities and align objectives.
- Build destination awareness and intention to visit amongst key markets.
- Share the media exposure benefits broadly across the local tourism industry.
- Support individual tourism operators in growing their media profile, while leveraging the broader Southern Downs & Granite Belt tourism experience.
- Identify additional photography opportunities to resource media opportunities and engage a photographer to deliver
- Identify additional media hosting opportunities with a focus on generating stories that will be most effective in driving travel from key markets, prioritising:
- South East Queensland and Northern NSW reaching travel media (our key markets are notably Brisbane, Gold Coast, Toowoomba and Northern NSW)
- Special interest Food & Wine travel market in Queensland and Interstate
- Special interest Sport & Adventure market in Queensland and Interstate
- Special interest History & Culture market in Queensland and Interstate